Since our original teak handrails had rotted, Ken & I decided to replace them with Plasteak handrails. Plasteak is plastic, which means less maintenance. We don't want to have to maintain wooden handrails (and all those loops) while cruising!
We ordered these handrails years ago, and were finally able to install them recently. After reading good things about "Bed-It" butyl tape, we decided to order a couple of rolls and use the butyl tape for this project.
The tape was really easy to use ... just cut off a piece and apply where needed. It was really sticky, but not messy .. so much easier than traditional adhesives! In the pic below you can see a little of the gray tape oozing from the handrail. It's easily removed with a plastic blade, or sometimes my fingernail.
While the handrails don't look exactly like teak, we're happy with the results. The handrails also came with plugs for the holes, which were easily added after the photo below was taken.
Next project ... adding new custom-made Ipe trim on the sides of the companionway hatch!
Hasta luego ... until then. Mid-Life Cruising!