Thursday, August 7, 2014

Almost Homeless!

Nirvana ... when will we move aboard?!

So much has happened since my last update about our boat and our plans ... everything that happened was so unexpected!  All the chaos began on Wednesday, July 30th when we received a decent offer on our house ... can you believe it?!  After almost two years we finally got an acceptable offer!  Ken and I barely slept that night as we debated on whether to accept the offer or counter back for a little bit more money.  We were ecstatic and couldn't believe this time in our lives had finally arrived.  The next morning we decided to move forward and accept the offer ... we've waited too long to mess this up!

One week later we had the house spotless for the home inspection, and we anxiously awaited the buyer's response over that following weekend.  We were dying to start packing and find a place to rent for about 9 months, but we didn't want to start making any commitments until the inspection period was over.  During this time, the buyer can back out pretty much for any reason, even if it's just "cold feet". 

I often dreamt of these days, and wondered how I'd feel when actually faced with the reality of selling our house and all of our belongings.  After waiting all weekend to hear from the buyer's agent I can tell ya ... I couldn't have been more excited!  Sure, Ken and I had our moments (very short moments) of fear and doubt about selling our home but they were quickly smothered by thoughts of freedom and travel.  I was giddy!

We never know what life has in store for us, and sometimes it can be a bitch.  As I pulled into the parking lot at work on Monday morning, I finally got the call we'd been waiting for ... and it stopped me in my tracks.  The buyers had decided to back out of the deal!  Without going into all the details, I think the buyers got cold feet, or maybe found another house over the weekend.

Unfortunately, this was just salt in the wound.  Word gets around fast in the real estate office when one of the agents sells their own home ... especially when it's someone like me who has big plans of sailing off into the sunset.  Although I'd tried to keep things quiet, it was inevitable that my boss would learn of the contract on our home.  However, I assured her that I wouldn't be giving my notice for at least 8 months, as we had a lot of things to do before "retiring".  (If you haven't followed us in the past, I also work about 32 hours a week in the real estate office for very little pay, but it fills the gaps between my real estate closings).  Anyway, last week the other part-time employee that I worked with was let go ... and I learned in casual conversation that someone had already been hired to replace her ... and they'd be working full-time.  Full-time?!  Yes, that meant that I had been replaced!  I wasn't being fired, but my job had been given away and I was offered about half the hours at an office 40 minutes away instead of the five minutes I'd been used to.  I absorbed this all weekend while waiting to hear from the buyers.  I kept telling myself that it was okay ... we were selling the house and I'd manage.  I was keeping positive thoughts, and gearing up for keeping a good attitude on Monday when I had to train my replacement.

Needless to say, finding out our house sale fell apart as I was arriving at work on Monday morning was terrible timing!  I walked straight into the manager's office as I passed the "new girl", closed the door, and started crying my eyes out.  I told her that I was having a hard time pulling myself together and putting a smile on my face to go train someone for my job!  She had nothing to do with this and was very kind.  Knowing that we're not selling the house and that I still need to make every penny I can until we lower our bills really sucks.

Four days later and I'm still devastated and exhausted.  Freedom was at our fingertips and it just slipped away.  Getting a taste of what it will be like to sell our house just makes us want it even more.  We were almost homeless, and it felt so good!  Until then, we have no choice but to keep one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward.  I sometimes question why things seem so difficult for us, but I know there's no answer.  Life just happens, and isn't always fair. 

We're kicking around some options ... maybe we should rent the house to tenants.  But, having the bad experiences that we've had as landlords, we have some real fears about this.  Thoughts of the potential damage (and expense) that could be experienced are daunting.  We just don't have the answers yet, but we're not giving our dream.

Hasta luego ... until then.  Mid-Life Cruising!


Sandee said...

I'm so sorry you were so close and then it fell through. Tough times right now for real estate in many places. Many folks just can't afford a home right now. It's a shame.

Have a fabulous day. ☺

Neophyte Cruiser said...

Hang in there guys. While right now things seem pretty bleak, over the long run, things will work out for your plans. They'll be all that much sweeter, given the history you've gone through. You still have your boat and house; you just have to push your plans a little further out into the future. Go sailing when you have them time and work on your skills. While you're working is a good time to do all the additions and upgrades you think might help you when you're off cruising. We're still making additions and changes as time passes to get the boat closer to what we consider 'perfection' and have a long way to go...time and money. Good luck and good sailing!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry. Let me say this though...

I keep getting asked when is our "go" date or departure date. I want to set it for yesterday.

I can't say that with certainty. I've got some miles to go before I sleep :) But every mile makes me better prepared for what comes after ... even if that's just learning to be more patient. It translates to dealing with the life I will live in the future.

I just know that patience is necessary for the path I took to get where I am. Children, 2nd marriages, etc...all have required that I be patient with my freedom date. It's not as long now but longer than I wish.

Remember that you are still closer than alot of others who wish they were you.

Hopefully for you that it will be soon.

David (svwanderer(at)

Anonymous said...

That is certainly a sucky course of events. Sorry the deal fell through.

I can tell you that it's a great feeling when it finally happens and in my opinion selling is the way to go. It is definitely freeing to not have to think about the maintenance, taxes, tenants, etc. Just think about the boat.

Good luck and fair winds,


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...